Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: Java issues, and Microsoft.NET compatibility (was Re: [DotGNU]Choice of bytecode spec (was: Support Java for .GNU))
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:10:27 +0200

Bradley M. Kuhn <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > how about "DotGNU is a network orientated framework with an emphasis
> > > on freedom and privacy. DotGNU is backwardly compatible with MS .NET"
>
> I see no problem saying it this way, as long as we make it clear and
> certain that DotGNU will be compatible with Microsoft.NET.  The GNU system
> is compatible with Unix, but has enhancements that don't break
> compatibility.  DotGNU should certainly do the same.

Absolutely - at least to the extent that it is possible to do so
without violating ethical principles and without doing things
that come dangerously close to stuff that Microsoft has been
granted patents for.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Core Team   http://dotgnu.org
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)