Re: [DotGNU]Encryption orthogonal to slamming

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Encryption orthogonal to slamming
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:57:43 -0400

Ron Burk wrote:

> >  - If M$ or anyone tries to break that for slamming purposes, they run
> >    afoul DCMA, under Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems :-)
>
> I see your point, if slamming consisted of having to
> break into the personal information database residing
> on the end user's machine.
>
> However, slamming actually only requires that Microsoft
> modify the Passport SDK so that it participates in the
> dotGNU standard, which documents how to request
> personal information from a user.
>
> Ron Burk
> HighTechInfo.com, www.hightechinfo.com

And this would only work if the user gave passport.com the right to the
information.  Perhaps some funneling sites will do this... but they
would not be allowed to get EVERYTHING.  It all depends on how the
webservices decide to play this - which is the tricky part.  I think,
however, that what you're suggesting can only be done if the entire
dotGNU system works on an "entirely open" strategy - which goes against
the very idea that we're trying to perpetuate.  Privacy for the end user
requires the end user to give permission for certain sites to access
their personal information.  Otherwise, what's the point?

        -Barry