Re: [DotGNU]gcc?

From: Keith Poole
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]gcc?
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 20:44:12 +0100

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

DotGNU is a GNU package.  GCC is a GNU package.  As GNU packages, we
have an obligation to work together and support each other's projects if
it's accommodating.

Basically, if GCC can be made to compile to IL and Java bytecode, it
makes it easier for integrate our components with the rest of the GNU
system.  Also, we can use other parts of GCC to do things that could
otherwise benefit the performance of the runtime.  Basically, if we work
with GCC, we don't do redundant work.  However, I suggest reading the
portable.Net FAQ at http://www.southern-storm.com.au/pnet_faq.html ...

The FAQ gives a decent primer to the problems with doing a GCC
conversion.  However, if it can be done - it's a worthy project.

Our status right now is that we can get along without the GCC frontend
(because of portable.Net) but that it would be a strategic win.

        -Barry

Scott Lanham wrote:

How does gcc not being modified to compile to IL and JavaVM (other than java)
affect DotGNU?