Re: [DotGNU]We can destroy Microsoft's effective monopoly of the desktop

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]We can destroy Microsoft's effective monopoly of the desktop
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 21:36:26 -0400

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > A VM based around a traditional JIT (compile on the fly
> > to native code in memory) can only be used to run the
> > compiler fast, or to run the resulting program fast.  It
> > cannot be used to compile the program directly down
> > to efficient native code and thus give proprietary
> > language implementors a super assembler for free.
> >
> > This is something that we will have to watch if we ever
> > build an "installation JIT", like Microsoft has.
>
> I've been thinking that we should build such an "installation
> JIT", and integrate it extremely closely with the DotGNU
> platform so that the resulting code makes very heavy use of
> "DotGNU system libraries", to the effect that the compiler and
> the resulting native code are useful only on the DotGNU platform
> (and on any derivative products of the DotGNU platform, which
> must of course be GPL'd).
>
> Their are lots of lazy proprietary language implementors.  My
> dream is that the executables which are produced by their tools
> will run fast on the DotGNU platform but slowly everywhere else.
>
> If my dream becomes reality, then the lazy proprietary language
> implementors will no longer print on their boxes "requires
> at least Windows x", but they will write "requires at least
> DotGNU yz".  After a little while, on the boxes of application
> programs that are created with those tools, people will read
> "requires at least Windows x and DotGNU yz".  And once we're
> there, then it's only a matter of time until everyone realizes
> that instead of running DotGNU on top of Windows or some other
> proprietary operating system, they can simply run GNU/Linux or
> some other variant of the GNU system.
>
> In essence I'm proposing to make a direct assault on Microsoft's
> effective monopoly of the end-user desktop market.  I think it
> is only just and fair when in retaliation for Microsoft's attempt
> to leverage their effective monopoly against Free Software, our
> DotGNU counter-offensive destroys that effective monopoly.  If
> this works out, that will strategically be a very serious blow
> not only against Microsoft but against "proprietary software" as
> a whole.
>
> What does everyone think?
>
> Can this plan work?
>
> Who makes a commitment to fighting this battle?
>
> What resources are required for putting the plan into action?
>
> I'd say, "Sound the trumpet, and all who are on the side of
> Freedom shall gather under the GNU banner and get ready for
> battle!"
>
> Greetings, Norbert.

Absolutely, I've been thinking along the same basic lines.  We should
not fear technology for what MAY be done with it... We must find ways to
implement these technologies which make it more difficult for the powers
that be to exploit them.  We exist to place power in the hands of the
people...

        -Barry