Re: [DotGNU]ANDF and TenDRA

From: Carsten Kuckuk
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]ANDF and TenDRA
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:59:02 +0200

Hans-Olof,

Thank you for the links. I have also posted on comp.compilers, and gotten
several replies. Here's what I found out in the meantime:

- TenDRA is dead, the official web site is down, TenDRA 4.1.2 is the last
official version and it can only be found on third party web sites like
www.andf.org, etc.

- The TDF 4.0 standard differs from the ANDF standard only in the way debug
information is treated. As long as no debug information is written, TDF 4.0
should be upward compatible with ANDF.

- The PostScript file dated June 1995, and the HTML files dated 1998 should
be identical except for small editorial changes.

- ANDF is actively worked with, for example at DDC-I.

Getting TenDRA 4.1.2 compiled on SuSE is more complicated than expected. At
home on my older SuSE machine I fixed the dev_t problem by changing the line
"+TYPE ( arith ) dev_t" to "+TYPE dev_t". The next problem I
could fix was the different macro definitions for POSIX_PATH_MAX. Here the
Linux library used 256 whereas TenDRA used 255. The next problem was a
header definition in /usr/include/gconv.h which defined an array of size
zero in a struct - apparently a header of a variable size data structure. It
seems that TenDRA doesn't like array declarations of size 0. In order to
make some progress I commented this one line out, well knowing that this is
not the right fix. Now I'm stuck with different types and function
signatures in the semaphore area.

It seems that the GLIBC that SuSE uses is not that compatible with the
library that Linux used back in 1995. If I can trust my memory, there was a
switch a few years ago when the Linux community replaced the old system
library by the then new GLIBC.

I have the impression that there is no quick way for me to fix the problems
and that I have to learn more about the build process, the tools used, and
the file formats for the tools, especially tspec. Fortuately all of them
build without any problems.

Carsten Kuckuk