Re: [DotGNU]IVM Project

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IVM Project
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:29:19 -0400

Yes, IVM is a good hack, and it is good to see it finally under the GPL which means it will get wider use. It is not operating as a "typesafe" VM the way Java and IL are, or, as noted, offering a "sandbox", but is simply a generic and particularly well implimented virtual/portable object code system. As such it does have value and could be quite useful for certain kinds of applications.

Carsten Kuckuk wrote:

Daniel,

I printed out the spec last night and read it on the commuter train back
home. The IVM team essentially created a specification for a Motorola 68000
like 32 bit processor, assigned 16 bit opcodes to instructions and
implemented an interpreter for it as well as an adoption of the gcc
compiler.

Advantages:
+ Portable
+ It works
+ Very fast

Disadvantages:
- No separation of data and code
- Interface to the underlying operating system is POSIX
- No built-in security, not even a sandbox

My assessment:
o Good piece of Engineering: It's there, it works, it solves a problem, it's
GPLed, it's tested.
o In order to be used as one of the VMs for DotGnu, security needs to be
added. As one of the rules in secure programming is that you can never add
security to a system, but that it needs to be designed into it, I don't know
if that is possible.
o For my personal taste it's too close to real untyped assembly language.

Carsten Kuckuk