Re: [DotGNU]Defining Web Services

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Defining Web Services
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:57:58 -0800 (PST)

http://www.PerfectXML.com/Xanalysis/TSG/WebServices.asp

> > >From the article:
> >
> > "What are web services?
> >  Web services are a group of closely related,
> emerging
> > technologies that describe a service-oriented,
> > component-based application architecture that is
> based
> > on an open, Internet-centric infrastructure. Web
> > services represent a model in which discrete tasks
> > within e-business processes are distributed widely
> > throughout a value net. Web services components
> can be
> > recombined by other companies to meet the needs of
> > their own software applications or business
> > processes."
>
> In my opinion this is not useful at all as a
> definition,
> because it uses so many words that difficult to
> define
> precisely.
>
> Greetings, Norbert

That is most certainly true of the above quote.  But
the article as a whole fleshes most of that out.  And
the article, as a whole, points in a direction that
many think of when discussing 'WebServeces'.  At
least, it's a benchmark to talk from.  How does DotGNU
Web Services include and/or extend past this benkmark?

We need a clear scope of what 'we' mean when talking
with others outside the project.  From most of my
reading, most people think of something like the
article talks about.  We will only confuse if our
semantics are out of synch.