Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:34:45 +0100

Gopal.V <address@hidden> wrote:

>       We have been missing an important point in
> webservices. I never noticed it till Arun mentioned it. What
> about Instant messengers ?
>
>       I have no illusions that phpGW will handle IM. All other webservices
> discussed here cannot run this small yet fundamental part of webservices.
> We have discussed this with Jabber, but the jabber server's GPL
> incompatibility put a lid on it. With other webservices from phpGW,
> Macs etc we are left with the IM issue. Any suggestions ?

I propose that our resident Jabber fans make it clear to the
Jabber company that unless they fix their licensing to be
GPL-compatible, it is only a question of time before a good but
Jabber-incompatible GPL'd IM system will get created.  The
DotGNU project does not currently have plans for creating such a
system, but I'm totally convinced that unless Jabber's licensing
problem is resolved, sooner or later someone will start a
project to create a GPL'd alternative.  The DotGNU project would
probably be quick to endorse such a GPL'd alternative.  So it is
definately in the best interest of the Jabber company to prevent
that from happening by switching to JOSL+GPL dual licensing.

This needs to be made clear to them.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com