Re: [DotGNU]Disadvantages of XML

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Disadvantages of XML
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:04:46 -0600

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

At the end of the day, it is easier to just gzip it and forget about
the problem.  No data loss, and roughly the same level of

I'll just agree with pnetexpert here :]. Just going back to the original problem, the whole point of using XML is so we can encode the data and forget about it. Also, when you consider all the cycles web browsers do to gracefully degrade "static HTML" (which reporter found so wonderful), XML doesn't seem so bad.

We're looking at XML use here that isn't manual, but computer-generated. There should be no real need for extra error handling; if there is an error in the XML, that is a bug in the producing program, and the other side SHOULD NOT degrade gracefully, so that the writer of said program recognizes a problem. That is one problem with HTML in general: site designers aren't held to anything near the kind of syntax standards that programmers deal with. If all browsers just spit out interpretor errors when encountering poorly formed sites, the world would be a better place ;-).

--
The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
        -- Linus Torvalds