Re: [DotGNU]The Virtual Remote Server project

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The Virtual Remote Server project
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:05:33 -0800 (PST)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:

> Would you like this to be listed as an "active
> proposal"
> on the DotGNU website?

Well .. ya  ..  assuming that it's considered to be an
appropriate project, I'd be glad to.  But I haven't
yet gotten to the point where I've talked with other
dotGNU projects to see how the VRS would fit, or be
made to fit.

Basically, the VRS is a pure p2p server cluster that
provide several of the most important advantages of a
centralized server.  Those are

1) a persistant, easily accessable net presence, and

2) a consistant response to requests.  In other words,
a common and manageable database.

Pnet is fundamentally important to the design.  But as
near as I can tell now, it represents an alternative
to SEE as an implementation environment.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand SEE, it's
based on a centralized ASP model (potentially a
commercial one) in which the users have an excape
clause, and can remove their data if disgruntaled and
provide it from their own local machine.

VRS takes the opposite approach.  It starts with the
local machine, where the local client/server node
software runs (called the Local Data Server LDS).
These individual nodes then aggregate, forming the VRS
itself.  I think commercial participation in such a
system is possible by providing scaled up node
resources, a branded port of entry into a VRS cluster
and administrative services.   But that business will
always be at the mercy of thier subscribers, not the
subscriber at the mercy of the business.  The
subscriber can always pull their registered components
out of the system.  Ever more so, if enough
subscribers also pull their nodes, the offending
businesses cluster server literally evaperates.  They
HAVE to play nice.

This system does, of course have limitations.  Right
now, I think it will be able to serve both static HTML
documents and component webservices (as long as their
data and methods are tightly encapsulated).  I do NOT
see how it will be possible to serve script based
pages like PHP.  (well, there is a possibility using
hugh ramdisk file systems ...  but).

I would be delighted to hear from folks how all of
this might fit into the metascheme.