Re: [DotGNU]'best damned development environment'

From: Jonathan P Springer
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]'best damned development environment'
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:15:31 -0500

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 05:40:34PM -0600, S11001001 wrote:
> Jonathan P Springer wrote:
>
> >Hmmm... This sounds like something I as a 'wanna-contributor' could sink
> >my teeth into.  Some sorta 'wikitexi' app.  I'll have to do a
> >little research -- wikipedia, phpGroupware, and sgmltexi spring to mind.
> >How WYSIWYG is necessary?  I don't feel quite up to tackling margins
> >:-).
>

> So will you take the project? If you do, please tell me, and when you have
> areas you are forced to neglect for some reason, please forward info here,
> so that I can add tasks to the tree. If you're feeling really nice, you can
> also write the texinfo source for me ;)

Okay, I seem to have enough rope to hang myself now.  I'll bite.  Sign
me up.  (You're still on the hook for the tree, I'm afraid.)

Just from the discussions I've seen, I'll be spending some time in
heads-down research mode.  Per suggestions, I'll look at docbook
and doxygen.  Then it's off to wikipedia and phpGroupware school.  After
that I'll probably want to cycle back to this list or a spin-off list
for a few philosophy debates.

As for the "format question" -- I realize delivery of GNU-standard texi is a
requirement.  I suspect the underlying storage of the documents will be
some sort of SGML or XML, simply because it will make HTML-based display
of the text easier.  I'll take a look at texi2html before I commit to
that though.

I'll try to piece together a proposal and some directional notes for
discussion by the end of this weekend, as well as some questions for
requirements gathering.  Suggestions for requirements and suggested
cross-posts (e.g. Bayonne) are also welcome.

Cheers,
-jonathan