Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:04:13 +1000

Jakob Praher wrote:

> What I could imagine is, having generic modules, like Rhys is trying
> with the jit engine, I think, that can be used both for a JAVA runtime
> and a CLR.
>
> for instance
>         a GC module
>         a JIT module
>
> so that we can reuse as much as possible, and that both sides could
> benefit from improvments.

This is where I'm heading with pnet.  Each of the major
components will be pluggable eventually.

I am at linux.conf.au all this week, and I will be giving
a presentation on Portable.NET later in the week.  The
following is one of the diagrams I'll be using to describe
how new bytecode formats can be plugged into the
front of pnet:

http://www.southern-storm.com.au/clrjvm.png

It also shows where the different kinds of coders (CVM
and JIT) fit into the picture.

I'm gradually collecting up all my notes and scribblings
from the last few months.  Eventually it will turn into a
big "HACKING" file for the VM, describing how to add
interesting new things, and how the whole engine works.