Re: [DotGNU]SEE-IFS

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]SEE-IFS
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:40:54 +0530

If memory serves me right, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> 3) Creates the potential possibility of harnessing alternate file system
> security mechanisms from within a system that doesn't normally support it
> (imagine, if you will, a loopfile interface with a minimal SEE-IFS
> formatted as reiserfs on a Microsoft Windows fat32 partition, but still
> capable of utilizing Unix style file security parameters).
        All files need not be stored in *one* image, becuase FAT32 has this
problem of fragmentation when a huge file is moved around. I guess we
could provide various reiser-fs partitions just like we have a
"/home" "/var" and "/tmp".... That also simplifies data backup and
recovery. (I guess any server will need backups...and only for data).

        Just a wild idea that popped in my head . Might be redundant...

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success