Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:20:00 +0530

If memory serves me right, Jakob Praher wrote:
> ok.
> A vm devoted to java would surely be the best way to go, but given the
> fact that all free jvm implementations, like japhar and kaffe, are in
> hibernation mode right now, I felt, that working with pnet as a base vm
> could be interesting.
        A VM devoted to java would be the *easiest* way to go. If you are
satisfied with Japhar or Kaffe, I think writing an Andromeda plugin and
implementing a SecurityManager will do the trick.

> What I could imagine is, having generic modules, like Rhys is trying
> with the jit engine, I think, that can be used both for a JAVA runtime
> and a CLR.
        Well I'm working on a sort of idea around the Kaffe verifier to
get that running using Pnet's IL data structures. Since Pnet can already
load Java classes (not complete), we can patch it up to support a good
verifier like Kaffe's (ref: kaffe/kaffevm/code-analyse.c).

        After the verifier is done, implementing a JVMCoder for java support
should be a peice of cake.

> (As I know too little about the CLR - so I don't know how complicated
> this sharing really is).

        In Pnet we have this idea called CVM which is the actual VM behind
all this. Since the JVM instruction set is less extensive than the CLR
(ie does not have the pointer instructions), we should in theory be able
to make use of Rhys's work on the JIT.

        Everyone should remember that Pnet is Portable".NET" and not a Vanilla
ECMA CLR. So PNET should handle all the machine workload ie loading and
running CLR and its cousin "The JVM"........

        My idea is short,simple and sweet. Verify,Convert and Feed to CVM.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success