[DotGNU]Our blindspot - (was: Sun likely to join Web services group)

From: John
Subject: [DotGNU]Our blindspot - (was: Sun likely to join Web services group)
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:08:42 -0600

DotGNU has no less than three active projects devoted to auth/acq
technology, but we've conveniently ignored another technology in the
monopolist's centralized "hands" - the webwide services directory
service. While Auth is the method by which users will be permitted
access to web services, UDDI is the means by which service providers
will publish their services and access methods? Sadly, DotGNU has not
yet developed or even considered an alternative to UDDI (think of UDDI
as the object registry for the web); he who controls the servers can
push down solutions on the clients. Witness DNS master servers?

I'd think that the easiest innovation we could add on top of UDDI is a
decentralized approach to UDDI listing, perhaps via p2p or a DNS-type
sub-supra- architecture. Any thoughts from anyone?

John Le'Brecage