Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft guru: Stamp out HTTP

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft guru: Stamp out HTTP
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:58:28 +1000

John wrote:

> Am I wrong that .Net is implemented over HTTP? We saw Microsoft embrace
> HTTP, now here's the threat to extend? If HTTP were replaced with a
> non-commodity protocol with technical advantages, where does this leave
> the broader world of web entities?

I doubt that HTTP would ever be "replaced", because it
is well-suited to what it does: delivery of semi-static
content from a (relatively) small number of Web sites to
a large audience of passive consumers.

However, the Microsoft person is correct that it is
unsuited to many other tasks, including RPC.  We need
better protocols for that.  But they'll never replace to
core content delivery mechanisms of HTTP.

If someone other than Microsoft had raised this, the
Slashdot crowd would be rushing to agree.  But we see
ulterior motives because it is Microsoft.

HTTP has seriously warped and twisted the Internet.
Pre-HTTP, each service had its own separate protocol
and port (FTP, SMTP, NNTP, SNMP, telnet, etc).  This
allowed the protocol to be tuned to the requirements of
the service.

Post-HTTP, everyone rushed to build their systems on
top of HTTP.  This usually involved twisting the service
to fit the protocol, destroying the value of the service
in the process.  We need to get back to our roots of
"one service, one protocol".  It's ironic that it is
Microsoft that is pointing this out.