Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Uncovering Rotor -- A Shared Source CLI
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:04:03 +1000

Bill Lance wrote:

> Here's a good one.  Don't forget the 'Shared Source'
> poision pill, folks.  Anyone appearing to be connected
> with a 'Shared Source' agreement will be open to legal
> attack by MS if they ever contribute to any OS/FSF
> project.

Yep, we need to avoid looking at their code when it
is finally released.

I do find it strange that they are only targetting FreeBSD.
It will take an average Unix hacker about a day to port
a FreeBSD program to GNU/Linux.  Who are they trying
to kid anyway?

Of course, they may try to put some kind of "cannot
port this to any OS except what we say" clause in the
license, which will make them look even more stupid.

What I find weird is why it has taken them so long to
do this.  Presumably, they were able to reuse much of
the existing MS code for the C# libraries, etc.  It
shouldn't have been that hard to build an engine for
FreeBSD, given the resources at their command.