Re: this affects DotGNU (was: this doesn't affect DotGNU (was Re: [DotGN

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: this affects DotGNU (was: this doesn't affect DotGNU (was Re: [DotGNU]New addendum for MS redistributables))
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:47:16 +0000 (UTC)

The big thing here is the dependancy on the redistributables.  If a
library were created (LGPL'ed or GPL'ed, of course) that was entirely (or
mostly) compatible with the MS libs, and a linker were created (or maybe
modify ld?) for working with this lib, we could completely replace the
dependancy.  This is a lot of work, though.

But, the real issue at stake is whether the code would be portable to
other libs under different licenses.  If MS tried to make this claim, I
highly doubt that it would stand up in court... Though I could be wrong.

In either case, yes - this hobbles any program created with MS development
tools.

        -Barry