Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here

From: Matthew C. Tedder
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]"Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:25:05 -0800

>     Yes... But I like Linus.  He believes in Free Software
>     but just doesn't judge the beliefs of others.
>
> We judge the actions and the beliefs of others because
> our goal is to correct a social abuse--proprietary software.

I agree with this.

> Your views may be different.  Whether you can reconcile yourself to
> our views sufficiently to work on DotGNU is for you to decide, but
> we are not going to change them for you.

No reconciliation necessary.. I have long been there.

> If you want to argue against our views please don't do it in this list.
> Please use the newsgroup gnu.misc.discuss for that.

I did not say that is my opinion also.  You disagree with the
reasoning for BSD-style licensing because they do not believe in
keeping software free.  I agree with that.  However, you don't
say they are bad for this, do you?  Perhaps not very smart (which is
what I think) but not bad in their own actions?

I have not once argued against a single view of the Free Software
philosophy you advocate because I also advocate it.  I just don't
think we should be degrading Linus--I don't think he's anti-FSF,
philosophically.  I felt that was a positive way of explaining it.

Do you argue Linus must attack others to be morally OK?  Yes, we
should fight for the social change you speak of, but some will be soldiers
and others laborers... I think everyone has his/her different areas in which
to contribute.  I view Linus as a laborer--and a good one at that.

--Matthew