Re: [DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:44:12 +0000 (UTC)

Personally, I think that it comes down to the propogation of the ideology.
If Free Software ideology (the ethical aspect of Free Software production)
is not propogated with the software's popularity, the whole thing will be
for nothing.

If that occurs, then we'll see more licenses that allow proprietary
entities to embrace the works of the community, and that will over time
launch us back into a proprietary industry.  This is assuming a complete
win for Free Software down the road.  This is about enlightenment - and
enlightenment can never happen if people aren't enlightened.

I can't control how others say something - and I wouldn't personally force
them to say something a certain way.  Their enlightenment is ultimately up
to them.  However, DotGNU is a Free Software project.  It would be a Free
Software project even if it wasn't a GNU project.  We are a GNU project
because we hold Free Software ideology to be important and necessary.  And
being a GNU project allows us to be part of a vibrant ecosystem (software
ecosystem) that favors Freedom above all else.  That is what we can say
about DotGNU.  I will not pick at the sides that people choose - Free
Software and Open Source communities and people - both are fine in my
book.  However, DotGNU is a Free Software project.  That can be said.

        -Barry