Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU Manifesto - first draft

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU Manifesto - first draft
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dear DOTGnu members,
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth about this,
but I have something to say about the  whole GOD
issue.
Please understand that I have a different view than
Richard, I am not trying to make policy, just pointing
out my view on this subject.
(Read on if you are interested )

I have to and my 2 cents here, and dont want to insult
anyone.

> That quotation is only indirectly relevant to the
> argument of the
> essay, and simply because of its length it gets in
> the way: the long
> digression makes the document less readable.
> Deleting it would be an
> improvement even if it did not say "god".

I did not feel offended by the reference to god, but
see that some people might.

Personally, I really liked the quote, I never saw it
before, never heard of curran, and thought is was
interesting and inspiring. Thank you for at least
presenting it to me.

I found a diffent quote that might apply to this:

"There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must
take the bull by the
tail and face the situation." (J. W. Curran)

"I
have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility
against every form
of tyranny over the mind of man." (Thomas Jefferson)

The message that I liked to most was of vigilance and
the price of freedom, this message is important and
made me think and question myself for the past days if
I am paying my dues in vigilance.

That is also why I am writing about this right now, to
at least protect my sources of information from being
edited out because of religious political correctnes.

The price that we pay for accepting input and new
ideas from all over the world is the price of
interpreting those messages and putting them in the
proper context.

Being raised as an athiest, and have always tried to
respect other religious views and figure out what they
had that I never did. I know muslims, catholics,
sieks, babtist, buddists and many other religions, I
have learned about thier views and found many positive
ideas in thier teachings.
.
If I see something that was done positivly in the name
of "god", then I look over the idea of the god and
think "ethical and philosophical".

In europe there are many beautifull chuches that I
love to visit, and feel peacefull in, in Thailand
there were buddist temples, in Tunisa there were
mosques.
The art and ideas that were inspired by comtemplation
of god in whatever form should be respected and not
edited out.

If anything they should be put into context and even
framed in such a way that we distance ourselves from
the idea of the biblical GOD, but still understand the
context in which it was put.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont