[DotGNU]This Week's Pnet Roadmap

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]This Week's Pnet Roadmap
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:32:51 +0530

Hi,

        We had our meet today and the roadmap for this week has been set
as

Hacker Level 0
--------------
    * Translate the resources files to French (or your language).

Hacker Level 1
--------------
    * Write Tests for the System classes like String (partially in
      place), Int32 , Int16 ....

    * Implement the ToString() and Parse() function where missing.
      check out the pnetlib/runtime/System/Private/NumberParser for
      the missing stuff

    * Classes on top this week:

      - System.Xml.XmlWriter : Is an Abstract class so , not much
        work here :)

      - System.Xml.XmlTextWriter : Is the implementation of XmlWriter.
        Expect lots of Write("<"+ node.name +">"); stuff, ideal for
        newbies.

      - System.Xml.XmlConvert : Which is typically an escape mechanism
        for invalid XML chars. So XmlConvert.EncodeName("Order Details")
        becomes "Order_x0020_Details" as per the XSD specifications.
                Liberal use of StringBuilder expected :). Please implement or
                report any missing ToString() required here.

Hacker Level 2
--------------
    * Write Tests for advanced classes like the network and file classes

    * Implement a Base64 encoder for C# (port from Java) for use in
      XmlConvert and the Http password sections. (Non ECMA !)

    * Classes on top this week:
      - System.Xml.XmlTextReader & XmlReader : That's hardcoder stuff :)

      - System.DateTime along with the needed Parse() and ToString()
        functions.

    * Bang on the runtime and compiler to catch bugs (PInvoke not included)

Hacker Level 3
--------------
    * grep -r "TODO" pnet
    * Detect & fix bugs in cscc and ilrun
    * Help us with stuff like javacc (haven't heard from Marcin yet ?)

Hacker Level 4
--------------
    * /Me begs them to help us in anyway they can .

"Bugmeister" Awards
-------------------

    * All bugs have to be reported on savannah.gnu.org
    * All bugs have to be original & unreported as such
    * Fixes accompanying bugs gives additional Karma
    * Making ilrun/cscc dump a core scores highest with +5 points

/ME and Rhys are excluded from competition due to obvious reasons.

There are lots of other things that you can do to help us . One of them
being to test , use and take apart the whole system and tell us what you
think about the design and working.

Other Help
    * Offer a compile machine for compiling pnetlib (clean room procedure)
      ie host a binary snapshot facility.
    * Write documentation about how to use pnet.
    * Help people on IRC personally or setting up an infobot (infobot.org).
    * Work on independent projects using pnet

Feedback is what I need ! . So (please) don't dissapoint me. The positive
feedback is what switches me to top gear. I'll wait two days for the
up into higher levels.

Gopal.V