Re: [DotGNU]Regarding your message "SOAPtalk" roundtable discussion in Z

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Regarding your message "SOAPtalk" roundtable discussion in Zurich
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 23:55:19 +0530

If memory serves me right, Ramesh wrote:
> - is there a committment to KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)?

Isn't this what everyone learned from the Corba experiments ?

Unfortunately the WSDL people don't seem quite interested in this
idea ....

> - how can platform vendors differentiate themselves if
>   everything is standardized?

The point is the differences should remain *inside* the webservice
and not in the interfaces ..... XML is fairly standardizable across
platforms so why not ? (unlike binary protocols)

Does someone remember X11 here ? (IIRC which was an ASCII protocol)

> - why webservices and not CORBA / COM / RMI?

Webservices depend basically on XML which is fairly portable across
platforms (languages,OS,hardware) . CORBA needed a lot of knowhow to
get working (like IDL....) , COM is good but over networks ?. RMI was
cool , but not portable enough to other languages.... And these are
binary protocols , so write (,rewrite and rewrite) support in all the
languages you want .

Also what about Async processing ?

> - is there customer lock-in in the area of web services?

imagine HoTMaiL locking all users to use Passport ... Oh , that has
happened already ..... What about the same happening for a webservice ?

/Me is absolutley Zero in CORBA , my experience with XMLRPC has been
very good ... it's kinda stable and sooooo easy to do in Python