Re: free "software" & geeky nitpicking (was Re: [DotGNU]paying for free

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: free "software" & geeky nitpicking (was Re: [DotGNU]paying for free software (was Re: `freeing' proprietary software))
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:56:58 -0700 (PDT)

Guys,

I know that I am going to piss people off with this
one, but I am coming to the point where I feel that
there will be a breaking point in this whole issue of
tools, data interchange and the GPL.

> off. While the cost of acquiring free software is
> free, development
> using free software has a higher cost than
> developing with commercial tools.

On of the problems with creating development tools is
that microsoft can protect visual studio with all
types of licences and create an intergrated system
that has the compiler and IDE exchanging data and
files.

The GPL is not strong enough to allow for the exchange
of data between the compiler and IDE without someone
exercizing thier "freedom" to create non-free tools.

Therefore we spend all are time worrying about how to
stop people from writing program database files and
XML dumps of the compiler instead of working togeather
 to create a cool IDE.

Compiler writers dont want to open up the compiler to
attack.

The IDE builder have to then build less than optimal
parsers, in the end everyone looses.

All of this because of the license holes.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont