Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:37:19 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

The GPL allows for creation of the introspector
project.
You wrote the gcc, Rhys wrote the cscc.

You both know about the weaknesses of the GPL.

If you need to protect the gcc/cscc, then change the
GPL, work it out.

It seems that you cannot do that without becoming that
what you are fighting against : a promoter of non-free
software, creating non-free file formats, limiting
linkage and access, stopping people from using thier
freedom.

It is not my problem anymore, this discussion is going
nowhere.

But dont complain if I exercise my freedom to create
GPLed derived works of the gcc and cscc to extract the
information I need.

That is what the entire purpose of the free software
is, to have people come up with new ideas and to
implement them, not to intimidate them to not
implement thier ideas.

If people try and use the introspector for not free
software, that is not my problem, fix the GPL, get it
to add in the protection. I wont go out of my way to
help them, but in the end this is the FSF job to worry
about, not mine.

Regards,
mike
--- Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     Yes, the question is if we can publish some web
>     interfaces with a explict statement on thier
> linkage :
>     Some would be lgpl, but you might want others to
> be
>     Gpl.
>
> I don't think it is possible under copyright law.

=====
James Michael DuPont