Re: How portable is it ? (was: [DotGNU]Embedding Portable.NET)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: How portable is it ? (was: [DotGNU]Embedding Portable.NET)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:39:47 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> I know it works on GNU/Linux , GNU Hurd , Cygwin and GNU Darwin (Mac OS X)
> and partially in HPUX .
>
> But what about the *BSD , Solaris , and other *ix's ?

There are a couple of Solaris patches in CVS right now,
with some more to follow soon.  I hear from people with
FreeBSD or NetBSD from time to time.

However, I normally only hear from people who are having
problems.  Rarely from those that have got pnet working.
So it is difficult to know what we can run on.

Perhaps what we need is a volunteer on each type of
platform to run regular builds of pnet and to report
back to the list on success/failure.  Most problems
can be resolved quickly, as long as I hear about them
quickly.

> Also are there issues involved in moving this system to a 64 bit platform
> (like IA64 ?) for pointer operations ?

Glen Chambers did have an earlier version of pnet
working on Solaris 8, which had some 64-bit issues
that I fixed.  And James is looking into 64-bit
hpux.