Re: [DotGNU]Pnet and scripting (python angle)

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Pnet and scripting (python angle)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:34:18 +0530

If memory serves me right, Charlie Carnow wrote:
> I ported Gopal's Python Extension to Ruby. I made it a little more
> object-oriented, however. Also, it should work but the compiler
> reports parse errors. Tried my best to get to compile, but couldn't.

I've got a more upto date codebase on
http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/code/pnet-python.tgz

The new code does some nice stuff like `csharp.System_String("hello")'
and autoinitializes the VM when you do an `import csharp'.

I have left it for good since it is tough to map all the signature types
needed for pnet (ie stuff like [i,[vSystem.Int32,oSystem.String etc...)

In my opinion the effort has brought to surface the obvious issues in
scripting IL via another VM . This also has problems when ilrun starts
supporting threads.

Rhys was talking about another angle of approach we may have , deeper
down into the VM level. Mapping ILClass into an equivalent structure
in Ruby. I can't be sure of this , as I entered during the middle of
this conversation.

The first scripting language we should focus on is typically Scheme,
as it can be done using C# as a programming language. I would suggest
that someone port something like Jscheme to C#. I have seen a port ,
but it was a quick and dirty port with 'Object's and typecasts scattered
all along it.