[DotGNU]Re: Help on ilnative

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Help on ilnative
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:26:34 +1000

Gireesh M wrote:

>          $ilnative -n hello.exe
>          $                           <--out put (nothing)

The "ilnative" program prints all methods that are
implemented by native C code (internalcall's and
PInvoke's).  Because hello.exe has no native methods,
it prints nothing.  Try "ilnative mscorlib.dll" instead.

>          How can we use ilcheck program, by the time it
> seems no binary file for this.

The "ilcheck" program was intended to check that all
internalcall methods declared by a library (e.g. mscorlib.dll)
are implemented by the runtime engine.

Since the introduction of the new internalcall dispatching
system, "ilcheck" is obsolete.  The dispatch table is generated
by "ilinternal", and the resulting engine will not link or
run if a native method is missing.

In general, there are a few programs like "ilcheck",
"ilinternal", "csdocvalil", etc, that exist only for
special purposes.  They aren't very useful for general
users, so they aren't installed during "make install".
e.g. Normal users don't need to run "ilinternal": I'm
the only person who needs to run it.

Gopal, do you mind if I remove "ilcheck" from the tree
given that it is no longer required, or do you still need
it for something?