[DotGNU]Re: [fairuse-discuss] P2P Internet Radio: Streamer

From: Jay Sulzberger
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: [fairuse-discuss] P2P Internet Radio: Streamer
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:28:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Seth Johnson wrote:

> (Forwarded from Decentralization list,
> address@hidden)

A perennial oddity of mass media coverage of computer/internet stuff is
that the simplest and most obvious application of stuff taught in middle
level courses in Official Academia is often hailed as a "new paradigm", a
"wondrous new thing".  There are techniques known for distributing
transmission of files.  These techniques are indeed taught in Official
Academia in first courses on computer networks.  Some of these distribution
techniques can also be arranged so that the original transmittor, if there
even is one, and the original requestor, if there even is one, are hard to
determine from outside.  The issue is not whether any particular
implementation of any particular technique will shield users from one
particularly foolish counter-move by the Englobulators, but rather whether
the particular program/system is useful as part of the tactics and strategy
of the People to defend our ancient rights and freedoms.

The counter-moves of the Englobulators here are many.  One of the simplest,
and today hardest to defend against, is to request that ISPs look for the
signature of "file sharing systems" and cut off subscribers who seem to be
running them.  Another move is to directly, with government backing, seize
control of home users' machines.  Another is to legally assault
authors/companies/organizations which provide the systems.  See DMCA,
SSSCA, Patriot Act, "Palladium".  But the more distribution systems we have
and the more effectively they are defended by technical means, from even
foolish counter-moves, the better off we are.  And we should try to get
more people using these distribution systems, so that those who do not yet
understand what the Englobulators intend, find out fast.

oo--JS.