Re: [DotGNU]Some thoughts about DotGNU

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Some thoughts about DotGNU
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 17:01:17 +0530

If memory serves me right, D.I.Freeman wrote:
> Don't know about all these, but 3D Animation, my personaly belief is it HAS
> to be based on OpenGL, cos its the only cross platform 3D API thats OPEN!
> (AFAIK) feel free to prove me wrong.

CSGL ... C# wrappers to OpenGL (http://csgl.sf.net)

or was it libMESA }:->

> May also be worth looking at how Java provides all these.

There are 2 ways Java support OpenGL ... one by native (sic) emulation
which uses the java.awt.Graphics surface to draw as per the GL API .
This is not hardware based support and is great if you just need
slow 3d performance in a window ..

The hardware based system is JNI based with hooks to the system's GL
driver/subsystem...

> As for speech, Music and Sound. Um, good luck!

Hehe ... anybody seen csvorbis yet ? .. it is a Vorbis player in C# ..
(check mono's website..) . But more importantly someone from DotGNU
has been thinking really hard about wrapping GStreamer and allow DotGNU
to support full streaming/playing capablity ... The more complex API
of GStreamer would take long on a single person developer ...

do you people just need a hack or a Complete Solution (TM) ? ..