Re: [DotGNU]Windows.Forms for Portable.Net

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Windows.Forms for Portable.Net
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:12:53 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>     As an immediate result of /me getting back to DotGNU (after a weekend)
> I had been told that Windows.Forms is getting a cold shoulder in Mono .
> I had a peek at the mono-list archives and noted an amazing number of mails
> quoting Windows.Forms in the subject ..... A closer inspection revealed that
> it was not "Mono" , but Ximian that has taken this action...

I have e-mailed Miguel for clarification (something you
should have done before posting Gopal).

Ximian has decided that their own people will focus on Gtk#
development, because it is a better toolkit, and closer to
what they need to develop GNOME applications in C#.

But they don't have any problem with other people continuing
to develop Windows.Forms.  Mono is not just Ximian people.

For DotGNU, I suggest that Gtk# is our best bet for UI
development.  It is a better toolkit, and it can be made
to run under Windows when necessary.  I've been playing
with it over the last week, and I like it a lot.

I do expect that there will be a Windows.Forms in the Mono
libraries eventually.  So compatibility should sort itself
out in time.

Right now, we have much bigger fish to fry.  We have to
reach ECMA-complete, and then .NET Framework-complete on
the basic components.  Let's deal with the Windows.Forms
issue when it actually becomes an issue, not before.

One more thing: issues will be discussed from time to time
on mono-list.  It's just discussion.  It is important not
to jump to conclusions until the facts can be verified
independently.  Please keep this in mind in future.