[DotGNU]illegal? iieee! (was Re: flexible for users, or flexible for dev

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]illegal? iieee! (was Re: flexible for users, or flexible for developers?)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:03:23 -0500

Boris Kolar wrote:
SSSCA, patenting most basic ideas,...).

Hey, that's CBDTPA, not SSSCA ;)

Some patents are amazingly stupid and they realy prevent innovation. Why can't
we simply ignore them? What can they do? It's an
international project, so such stupid patents and laws surely don't (and won't)
apply everywhere. I mean: who says US legislation
applies to this project?

Read "Harm from the Hague" (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/hague.html). And what do you think orgs like WIPO exist for? To muscle countries into honoring patents and copyrights in other countries.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

This societal shift is letting users take back control of their
futures. Just as the Magna Carta gave rights to British subjects, the
GPL enforces consumer rights and freedoms on behalf of the users of
computer software.
        -- Evan Leibovitch, "Who's Afraid of Big Bad Wolves"