Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: User

From: David Bradley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]flexible for users, or flexible for developers? (wasRe: User Interfaces)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:54:55 -0400

BioChem333 wrote:

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 07:32, David Bradley wrote:
people to migrate from .NET to DotGNU. Hopefully, we'll have some nice
extensions to it that will complicate the reverse process too; GNU
extensions are always nice. :)
That's interesting. The articles I've been reading have been critical of Mono and dotGNU success because they're afraid MS will add extensions that will become commonly used but, not part of the standard. So is it bad when Microsoft does this, but ok when GNU or Mono does this? I thought this was why Sun was jumping all over Microsoft because they added some extensions to their JVM?

I'm not against adding extensions, but it appears to be a concern of many. I think people can make informed decisions on whether to use them or not. We've been doing it for ages in C and C++.

David Bradley