Re: [DotGNU]Preferred namespace cscc option

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Preferred namespace cscc option
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 08:05:35 -0400

Yes, it would be a violation of the language specification.  It is a shame
that namespace priorities were never part of the language spec.  For example,
in C++, it would be wonderful if one could use "using" statements to merge
references to multiple namespaces but specify one as "default using", so that
if there is an abigious reference, the default priority one would be used
automatically.  However, this was not done for C++, Java, or C#, and to do so
outside of the standard would generate results that do not compile correctly
on a standard compliant or alternate implimentation, and while that might
ultimately be the goal of some other company, that is certainly not our goal.

David