[DotGNU]Is there a Developer FAQ

From: Charles Shuller
Subject: [DotGNU]Is there a Developer FAQ
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:57:04 -0500

Hello all --

I'm a bit new to this project (meaning I've been reading everything I can dig up in the past three days) and still trying to find where I might best assist, but I can't seem to find a FAQ or a HOW-TO. Is their one out there???

In case there isn't, would you like one?

Oh, I read somewhere that I had to disclose my knoledge of MS-.net. I saw a book on it once at a friends house, told him why he should not develope for it, and proceeded to actively campaign for GNU. I have never read any technical specification, published or otherwise on microsoft .net (I knew I would find a competing free software project one day, and didn't want to compromise my ability to aid in the removal of the microsoft threat), and have in fact only come in contact with microsoft press releases regarding their new platform, though I have read published microsoft documentation on the Win32 API. I do not work for microsoft, nor am I a government spy on Microsofts payroll.

Hope that cover all the bases?

Here are some questions I already can't find answers to, please feel free to just point me at the proper documentation, as I know it will be done anyway :)

What is CSCC, and what is it's relationship to MSVC?

Do I need MS-Windows to develope for dotgnu at this point in time?

What is the development cycle in terms of multi-platform development, for example, develop on *nix, port to win32?

What packages do I need to install to claim to have a working dotgnu install (If this is possible at this point)?

Where are the specifications?
For coding style (or is it gnu, or variable by package), and other such matters.

What are the procedures for patch/code submission (I very much suspect that they should be mailed to a project developer, but I haven't found anything stating this)?

What windowing toolkits are supported (I think the SEE might care about such things, but I suspect nothing else does, so this might just be a SEE thing)

Is GCC supported, if so are there version restrictions?

What tools do I need to develop on linux for dotgnu?

Is there a central download site to quickly grab everything (or will there be) so installers don't need to go to 8 different FTP servers, and curse excessivly? (thinking of the current GNOME FTP directory structure which recently incorperated release directories with all the packages comprising a release in said directory. Makes wget a great option)

Thanks!

--Charles Shuller