Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:18:45 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Ahww Go on!
> I aggree with you, we should use the tree in the gcc.
> generate native treecc structures that are 100% the same as the gcc
> trees, and then add in abilities into treecc to do tree
> transformations.
> So you go :
>
> GCC ---> GCC Style TreeCC --> CSCC Style TreeCC --> IL generate.

The idea of using treecc with gcc came from Bradley Kuhn.  He was
more thinking along the lines of:

New Language --> Treecc Definition --> GCC trees --> RTL --> native code

i.e. no cscc code involved.  The treecc definition would contain a
new list of nodes, designed around the requirements of gcc itself.
A "GenTree" operation on the nodes would produce a gcc tree, ready
to be fed into the rest of the compiler.  All of this would happen
in memory (i.e. no external files or scripting engines that might
compromise gcc).

One of the hardest problems facing the gcc crowd right now is that
writing new front-end languages is hard.  Treecc may be the answer.
The goal is to produce a clean and simple system to help people
develop gcc.  Bolting cscc onto gcc isn't really the best approach
to acheive this.