Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The ECMA 334 Examples (from spec)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:35:51 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Sorry if you dont aggree with me, but we cannot just keep on running
> away from microsoft for no reason at all.

I am not running away from Microsoft.  I am choosing not to
violate their clearly stated (and obvious) Copyright on the
C# specification.

Implementing the specification will never be a problem.  Creating
derived works based on the specification will be.  I'm sorry that
you are unable to see the difference.

Since the examples in the specification are useless as a regression
test suite, it is (a) a waste of time, and (b) of dubious legal
standing.

> Because I am not offically part of the DotGNU project, I can take
> this risk apon myself.

And you think that will save us?  If you contribute any code to
the project, even if it just a set of fixed-up test cases, that
you gleaned from automatic extraction, then we are dead.  You
are not engaged in clean rooming: you are basing your work on
theirs and then passing it through the barrier.

> Running away from microsoft is not the way to do it. You need to help
> the project by being rational, not irrational. You need to present
> logical arguments, not voodoo-hoodo-hocus-pocus.

I'm being irrational?  I'm not the one standing in front of
a bear and hoping that it will be nice and not eat me!  Even if
there was a non-zero chance that it was a nice bear, the prudent
course of action is to stay away from it.

The nature of Copyright is this: you have no rights except what
are explicitly enumerated by a license or fair use.  Fair use
arguments are increasingly hard to make in courts.  The logical
course of action is to assume that it isn't allowed unless
explicitly told so.  It would be irrational to assume that what
you are doing is fair use just because you want it to be so.

Whether it is actually fair use or not is a moot point anyway.
I have decided for the project that we will find another way.
Please respect my wishes and do not put DotGNU at further risk.

I am getting very, very, very, tired of your "I want to do it
therefore it is allowed" attitude James Michael.