RE: [DotGNU]Microsoft Shared Source License

From: Joe Mozelesky
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Microsoft Shared Source License
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:41:33 -0500

I can only imagine that they want to encourage development of CLI's for
other platforms to close the gap with Java and the multi-platform VM's.
If there is a .NET VM widely distributed on many platforms it makes it a
lot more viable to write the equivalent of a Java applet in C#.

Also by pushing .NET related stuff in academia they get developer
mindshare before developer-to-be is even out the door and employed.

And of course it allows them to get free marketing because now their
message is being carried across every open source forum in the world as
people discuss this :-)  Far better than a simple "We Love MS.NET" press
release.

Joe