Virtual Identities: standards work (was Re: [DotGNU]Virtual Identity Sys

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Virtual Identities: standards work (was Re: [DotGNU]Virtual Identity System)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:10:04 -0600

Peter Minten wrote:
a lot is unclear about the DotGNU Common Virtual Identity System (DCVIS or
simply VIS). And with the current amount of active auth coders that's not likely

(define GBFM (choose-your-favorite-from CVIS VIS CVI DCVIS DVIS DCVI DGCVIS DGVIS DGCVI :))

The important thing is to remember that GBFM is not just address@hidden

to change soon. The VIS needs however to be integrated into the DotGNU System. I
therefore propose the following:

* We should create a specification of the VIS.

Somebody finally said it! :)

* These specifications should be used to implement a minimal feature reference
VIS server.

Perhaps a reference library, GPLd, would be better? After all, the implementation still has to define the environment.

The way I see things there are a number of things to be put into the VIS spec:
* How the VIS server communicates with a webservice

IMHO, this is more of a DotGNU webservice standard issue than a GBFM issue. That is, there are different ways to interact with it, depending on the larger system. As long as you have full data access, the access method doesn't affect the GBFM itself.

* How a Virtual Identity must be structured (note that this only applies to the
VI send over the connection with the webservice, the VIS server's internal
structure of a VI is unspecified).

Same as above.

* What fields of a VI are mandatory (a field like name should be in all VI's)

Maybe a better name for the 'name' field would be "label"; it's a free selection anyway.

BTW, I believe there are owner-of-the-data issues here as well. Perhaps the OOTD methodology, whatever it may be, will play into GBFM. So hopefully OOTD can be resolved soon.

--
Stephen Compall
Also known as S11001001

But how you can encourage greater production of works in the 1920's by
extending copyright today escapes me, unless they have a time machine
somewhere.
        -- RMS, "Copyright and Globalization in the Age of Computer
                Networks", on retroactive copyright extension by the
                U.S. Government