Re: [DotGNU]General Coding Enquiry

From: James Dill
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]General Coding Enquiry
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:02:49 -0500

> Each GNU project has its own conventions.  For Portable.NET, they
> are documented in "pnet/HACKING" and "pnetlib/HACKING".

Cool - I should've looked there before asking.  Answers pretty much all my
questions :)

> There's no problem you using the editor in VS.NET, or any other
> editor for that matter, as long as you don't use any of the MS
> code or examples in source that you contribute.  We would of course
> prefer that people use Free Software development tools instead of
> proprietry ones, but the means by which you enter source code into
> your computer is pretty much irrelevant.

If I didn't need it for work I wouldn't... I'm not one who basically ever
praises MS... but VS is a fantastic IDE.

> We don't currently use #region (the compiler simply ignores it as a
> comment when it sees it).
> My "Golden Coding Rule" is basically this: if you are modifying
> someone else's code, then use their coding conventions as-is, even
> if it grates on the nerves.  This includes leaving the order of
> methods and what-not intact.  But you can use your own conventions
> if you wish in classes you write yourself from scratch.
>
> Leaving the order intact makes it easier for Gopal and I when we
> evaluate patches, as the changes are more localised and easier to
> eyeball for problems.  Rearranging existing code or submitting huge
> "megapatches" just makes it harder to review the patch prior to
> it being applied.

I thought all this would be the case.  I guess I'll have to work to write my
own classes so I can have my conventions grate on other peoples nerves!! :)  Oh
for the day programmers can agree on a single, logical convention (namely
mine... joking :).

> Thanks.  Did you also manage to get it to run under GNU/Linux?

Certainly - with no problems what so ever.  As I said above, I'm using VS (for
now at least) to write the code, which is networked to my linux box where I
will compile/test/run.  The IDE is basically the only thing keeping me running
windows at all at the moment.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

One click access to the Top Search Engines
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom