Re: [DotGNU]Updated german resources

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Updated german resources
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:46:02 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> Commited into CVS....
>
> $ ./configure --with-resources=de_DE
> $ make

I've made some modifications to the CVS versions of pnet and pnetlib
so that translated resources are loaded automatically, without any
need for "--with-resources" at configuration time.  Each language,
other than the English default, is compiled into separate assemblies
that are loaded dynamically as needed.

To test the German translations, set your "LANG" environment variable
to "de_DE" and then run a program that throws a German-translated
exception.  This will also work if you set "LANG" to "de_AT" (Austria),
as I've installed Rainer's translations as the "de" fallbacks for
all German locales.

I've also modified the resource system so that if a string hasn't
been translated, it will fall back to the English version.  Thus,
if you don't mind Rainer, could you remove the strings from your
translations that you aren't going to translate from English?
That will avoid unnecessary clutter in the German versions.

In the case of an Austrian locale, you should only need to translate
those strings that are different from standard German.  Then the
fallbacks work as follows:

   - Look for a specific "de_AT" translation.
   - If that fails, look for a common "de" translation.
   - If that fails, return the English fallback.

This should avoid the need to retranslate the entire set of resources
for minor differences in dialect.