Re: [DotGNU]compilation error on using namespace

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]compilation error on using namespace
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:43:12 +0530

If memory serves me right, Thierry RAMANAMPANOHARANA wrote:
> class Hello
> {
>         public static void Main()
>         {
>                 System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory();
>         }
> }

CSCC does not support ambiguated lookups as of now .... Because this
can be a class named System , or a class named IO with a Directory
property .... etc...

The disambiguation of adding a "using System.IO;" on the top is what
the ECMA spec considers manadatory IIRC ....

> it fails to compile when direct referencing types in namespace.

Actually it does allow direct referencing types .... it's the member
accesses that bug out ...

System.IO.FileAccess a=0;

does work ...

Fixing this bug needs a bit of tweaking the existing thing to add a
"quiet" mode which probes for correct member or type or namespace..

Which is sort of saying "I know it's broken, I know how to fix it,
but it's so radical that it needs some expert design decisions"..

Anyway, thanks for the report.