Re: [DotGNU]System.Xml

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]System.Xml
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 23:10:34 +0530

If memory serves me right, Chris Smith wrote:
> Yeah.  All the stuff I'm gearing up to use with the DGEE et. al. will have
> XML in either a String or Stream (instantiated from memory), then read
> perhaps by streamreader.  ie *never* as a file on disc.

I've been thinking a lot about DGEE these days ... so how about the following
idea .... Why not provide access to the requestring and similar stuff as a
set of internal calls ...

You should be able to attach new internal calls to the standard set with

/*
 * Add a new set of internal calls to the process's lookup table
 */
int ILExecProcessAddInternalCallTable(ILExecProcess* process,
                                        const ILEngineInternalClassInfo*
internalClassTable,
                                        int internalClassCount);

The steps would be ... write/design your internal call in C# ...

$ ../ilnative/ilinternal -p mydll.dll > internalcalls.h
$ ../ilnative/ilinternal -t mydll.dll >> internalcalls.h

Edit it to use ILEngineInternalClassInfo instead of the locally defined
InternalClassInfo (or typecast in the engine invoke, they both have the
same layout and size)...

Attaching this the engine process will add your very own special features
of DGEE to the VM env ... (rather than depending on the arguments for
everything...)

But it just might be too late for the release for this idea to stabilize.

> So I just wanted to make sure System.Xml will allow reading like this. Not
> had a chance to review the ECMA spec yet.

It reads stuff of a Stream or String ... and as far as I know it shouldn't
be a problem to wrap a Reader or Stream class around your Message queuing
process :-) ...

Btw, Minddog fired 1000 helloworld continous requests to the DGEE and
experienced no problems what-so-ever ... I wonder what slashdotting could
do :-)