Re: [DotGNU]another bug in pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]another bug in pnet
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:01:23 +1000

On Saturday 11 January 2003 10:48 pm, Paolo Molaro wrote:

> I first thought it was a bug in mono, but it turns out it's a bug in
> pnet. QNull is a valuetype and as such it needs to have a size > 0.
> I'm sure this is in the spec somewhere, I'm too lazy to look it up, but
> think about it: a valuetype is allocated on the stack, or as a field,
> it _needs_ to have a non-zero size.

I did attempt to fix this previously, as Gopal pointed out.  I had another
look and discovered that I didn't fix it completely.  I checked that the
value type didn't have any fields, but I should have been checking that it
didn't have any _instance_ fields.  The presence of a single "static" field
re-triggers the bug.  I'll fix this.

Frankly, I don't know why the spec has a problem with zero-sized structs.
They seem perfectly normal to me.  But the "Basic Interoperability Rule"
comes into play here: MS chokes on it, so we have to fix it.

> I compiled it with cscc from a few weeks ago (cvs pnet doesn't compile,
> missing numformat.c file).

That file was removed because it was obsolete.  From time to time, it is
necessary to re-run "auto_gen.sh" to re-generate the Makefiles in a checked
out CVS version.  If in doubt, "make distclean; ./auto_gen.sh; ./configure;
make".