Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU TCG

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU TCG
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:41:29 +1000

On Thursday 06 February 2003 03:07 am, Andy Kilner wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 14:22, Gopal V wrote:
> > I think someone should chip in for the classes for JScript ... IMHO it's
> > one of the easier peices out there. The Microsoft.JScript classes need
> > work (IIRC) and is in need of developers.
> >
> > If there's someone on this list who's looking towards working on
> > something, please raise your hands .
>
> /me raises hand
>
> I'd love to help, just have a problem jumping into things like this.
> Anyone prepared to give me a little push.

I'll be happy to give you a little shove in the right direction ...

The parser and evaluation engine in JScript are in pretty good shape for
ECMAScript 3, but someone needs to start investigating what would be required
for ECMAScript 4 and the MS-specific extensions that make up full-blown
JScript.  The file "pnetlib/doc/JScript-internals.txt" in the CVS tree
describes the basic structure of the code.

The biggest area that needs work right now is the builtin objects and classes.
Object, Function, Array, String, etc, etc, etc.  They are all described in
ECMA-262 (reference in the above file).  What isn't described is how they map
down to C# - I will update the "JScript-internals.txt" file shortly to
describe that.

The most annoying part is that we need to extract the API details from the
Rotor code, as there is no real MS documentation available.  I'll see if I
can cobble something together using csdoc to give us a "JScript status" page
similar to "pnetlib status".