Re: [DotGNU]Could someone test this on all platforms ?

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Could someone test this on all platforms ?
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 07:33:30 +1000

On Saturday 08 February 2003 09:09 pm, Paolo Molaro wrote:

> This assumes PNetMark is a valid benchmark program: it's not enough for
> a benchmark to be well-understood, it should also reflect usage
> patterns, for example, to have any respectable results.
> Hopefully some independent expert will write a benchmark for the CLR
> or an existing benchmark may be ported and validated.
> In the mean time the field is open for armchair benchmarkers! :-)

PNetMark is a direct port of the CaffeineMark from Java to C#, with only 1
differerence - it uses C#'s 2D arrays in the Float benchmark instead of
arrays of arrays, as in Java.  You are welcome to verify this for yourself,
and to submit patches if you do find a discrepancy.  The CaffeineMark has
been widely used to benchmark the compute performance of JVM's, which is why
I chose it.

I was extremely careful not to embellish it, or to slant it towards pnet.
Since version 0.0.1, the only changes have been to the build system, FAQ, and
detection of runtime engines that don't have floating point (for benchmarking
embedded CLR's).  The core code remains unchanged.

If you would care to suggest a better benchmark to port, then do so.  But
don't insult my profressionalism by implying that PNetMark is not
independently written or verifiable just because it has "pnet" in its name.