Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET: Embedding issues ..

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET: Embedding issues ..
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:23:58 +1000

On Monday 10 February 2003 04:15 am, Tobias Oberstein wrote:

> 1. The relation between
>
>  - database sessions
>  - OS threads
>  - VM instances
>
> In a perfect world, I'd like to have a completely isolated VM
> instance associated with each database session. The association
> would be setup when the database client connects and the VM would
> be shut down when the connections ends or timeouts. [...]
>
> Possible?

It should be possible now to create multiple VM instances within a single
process (feel free to log a bug if it isn't).  As long as you have some way
to synchronise access to a single "ILExecProcess*" value, any thread can make
a call on it.  We don't currently have support for multiple threads running
within a VM instance, but that is a separate issue from multiple threads
outside the VM instance making calls.

> 2. Custom class loader
>
> In a perfect world it should be not that hard to hack the run-time
> such that classes/bytecode is not loaded from files in the filesystem
> (that is not accessible from the database .. at least it should not),
> but classes/bytecode are loaded from the database itself. Classes/bytecode
> would be uploaded (under compete transaction control) into the database
> via a special interface.
>
> Possible?

Being able to load from memory or a custom loader is on our TODO list.

> 3. Transparent object persistence
>
> Most important, is it possible to hack the run-time (the CTS?) such that
> a user can declare new types to be persistable, e.g in C# like so:
>
> public class MyClass
> {
>    [Persistable]
> }
>

> public class MyKeyedClass
> {
>    [Persistable(int)]
> }
>
> Instances of persistable classes are sharable between all VM instances.
> All synchronisation is done under the hood by the OO database.

Is this a standard .NET mechanism, or something that you yourself have
devised?  I'm not really sure what you require in this case.  Is sounds like
you want some kind of remoting facility.  We don't have .NET remoting yet, as
it isn't part of the ECMA standards, but it will come eventually.  If you
would like to submit patches for it, it will come quicker.