Re: [DotGNU]Comments Wanted: Release Check List

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Comments Wanted: Release Check List
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:41:57 +1000

On Monday 10 February 2003 01:35 pm, Robert Johnson wrote:
> I would like to become part of the release process for
> the Win32 binaries. I have taken a look at the
> checklist draft of the release process and I have a
> question. Do you think that the release process for
> windows builds should follow the same kind of schema
> as the process for Portable.Net source release?

If possible.  Ideally, anyone with a Windows machine should be able to follow
the steps and build their own pnet-N.N.N.zip file.  It's important to
document the steps, including things like "don't forget to use
--disable-cygwin", or sooner or later you may forget yourself. :)

> I must
> admit that I have not had a lot of experience working
> in a open source development environment but I am
> eager to help in any way I can to the project.

Usually things aren't quite this formal in free software projects.  But since
DotGNU is growing, and a lot of things need to happen to put out a release,
it is probably time to add a few procedures.  This will only get worse as
other packages are added to the mix.  But we certainly won't have any more
procedures than are strictly necessary to solve the problem.

> I also would just like to say that I hope that my
> building the Win32 pnet/treecc binaries and packaging
> them has not hurt the development process of the
> project.

No way.  Every little bit helps.  One less thing for me to do. :-)