Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Newbie

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Newbie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:54:05 +0530

If memory serves me right, Patric Hedlin wrote:
> However, I'd like to know if there are any particular compiler
> (or runtime sys/lib) issues I could have in mind while doing so.

See http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu-pnet/ and look in the BUGS
section ;-)

> Perhaps a whish list kind of grander theory (simply 'cos I don't
> believe I can contribute much in the short term, while I expect
> progress is rapid and ideas are plenty). Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

One simple request : compiler bugs !!  .. especially the one about
enforcing abstract class methods. You should be able to fix that up
as soon as you get the hang of the framework ... I've been lazing
around that bug for days :-)

I'm working on the Java language compiler for the framework ...
I hope to be able to make an initial release after my first
review of the code by my professor . According to the plan I've
submitted it's HelloWorld by March 1 ;-)

Threading for the engine is the next item on the wishlist ... I
hope to get Rhys free for that during next week...

> MSc.CS. 10 years post grad industry experience in compilers,

Cool ... a compiler design guy ... Just what we need .. The C#
compiler needs a full time developer right now . Rhys multi-tasking
between the compiler/runtime and libs is spreading him too thin.

With GowriKumar on the JIT project and Someone like you on the compiler
proj, we have a solid base to get Rhys into free-running mode .
I'm moving onto the Java compiler right now ...

I'll be glad to share what I've learned in the time I've hung around
here ... So be free to fire any questions to the list or me.

Also you *might* want to show up for the IRC meeting tonight and meet
the gang :-)