Re: [DotGNU]Generic IL support in Portable.NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Generic IL support in Portable.NET
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:13:54 +1000

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 07:55 pm, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> This is very exciting rhys!
>
> My questions are :
> 1. Is there a test case library?

Not yet.  Volunteers welcome.

> 2. What tools support this?

Right now, ilasm, ildasm, and (RSN) ilalink.  The other tools (ilsize, ildd,
etc) aren't really affected by generics so there should be no issues there.
There is no support in ilrun yet, and only syntax support in cscc.

On the MS side, there is a patch for Rotor (called Gyro), but there is no
support for generics in the commercial version yet.

> 3. What new IL commands are added, what docs are available?

There are some syntax additions to IL assembly to specify generic parameters
on types and methods, as well as three new instructions.  See the Gyro
documentation for the details (gyro/docs/generics/clrgen-il.html).

Some of the Gyro examples are buggy (e.g. there is no "any" keyword although
the examples seem to indicate that there is), but they are otherwise a good
place to start.

> 4. Have you added this support to ilasm/ildasm?

Yes - see above.  There may be some bugs though.  Feel free to report anything
that you find.  So far, I've tested it enough to make sure that it doesn't
break anything that used to work.